The First United Methodist Church of Shiner will celebrate itís 120th year anniversary in the fall of 2007. For more information concerning the event or the history of the church, call 361-594-3830.
Shiner Methodist History
Shiner Methodism dates itís birth as far back as 1887. A small two story building was donated by David Kokernot, a converted Jew and devoted Methodist; for use as a Masonic Lodge on the top floor and the Methodist Church on the bottom. There were no regular pastoral appointments; the church was served by ministers coming from Yoakum and Gonzales when the word would be passed around for a week night service. The clergy would canvass the area on horse back, often over impassable road conditions.
In Dec 1890, the family of Capt Charles Welhausen moved to Shiner. Mrs. Welhausen organized a Sunday School, coming in to teach (on horse and buggy), organize and finance the Sunday School. Eventually the church would be organized and receive a full time pastor to serve the needs of the church and itís constituency.
Over the years, the Shiner First United Methodist Church has been a vital presence in the community of Shiner. Located presently on a hill overlooking the community, the church is the first building one sees coming in from Hallettsville on Hwy 90 A, a symbol of the presence of the congregationís commitment to bring meaningful ministry to the people of Shiner and beyond.
Rev. Jay Brown, Pastor
Mary Kristynik, Office Coordinator
Ernest Lesikar, Custodian Activity Center
Linda Duell, Custodian Church
Office Hours: 9a.m. Ė 1:00p.m.
Sunday School at 9:30 a.m.
Worship at 10:45 a.m.
Tuesday morning Bible Study at 9:30 a.m.
View Jay's Journal